Monday, January 4, 2010

A Yarn That Rhymes - 1

"Bah, Bah a black Sheep,
Have you any Wool?"

Chapter 1

"It had been a really long and boring day at the pastures. The sheep were getting restless. I think they had an inkling as to what was going to happen. You know you get that feeling every once in a while. That something bad is coming.", said Mary.
She was the shepherd for the Master. The Master was the single most influential man in Sink City. It also helped that he owned most of the businesses in and about town.
Mary was being investigated about the disappearance of the entire Black Sheep flock.
She said, "So, I took that side road from Pitter Patter Lane. The one which goes across Old McDonald's Farm. So, I was thinking, ya know, me mam's not gonna be home for like an hour, so I could just talk to The Boy Who Lives Down The Street - "
She was interrupted by a small cough from the man sitting right across from her.
He had been in the room even before she got there. Sitting in the dark, waiting like a lion for a gazelle. The only problem with that image was he was short.
Very short. Infact Mary could just barely see his chin above the table. He was the one who spoke now, in the kind of a voice that can be substituted for sandpaper, and questioned Mary.
"Miss Maple, could you tell me what was the colour of ,the boy, William's shirt?"
She was momentarily thrown off by the question but recovered quickly to reply, "It was green. I had gifted it to him on his birthday."
"Please continue, Miss"
"So, as I was talking to Billy, over his house fence, he says to me, 'Say Mary where's your sheep today?'. And I thought he was joking but when I turned around they was gone. Just like that. One moment they were there and then Poof."
"Miss Maple, do you expect me to believe that? Just tell us where you and your boyfriend hid those sheep and you can go."
"Course I do because it is the truth. And I did not steal them! ", she said with tears in her eyes.
"Come now, Mary. There you go, poor thing. Don't mind Mr. Horner here. He's just doing his job". This kinder soul was Chief Of Police Elijah Dumpty.
All the townfolk loved him. They called him 'Humpty' as a mark of respect and affection. Mr. Horner was an outsider as of yet. Jack Horner had once been a citizen of The Sink but he had left it all to be a Private Investigator in the Big Apple. Now he was back and no one really knew how to react.
The case of Miss Maple was straightforward according to Jack. She and her boyfriend Billy had stolen the Master's prize flock. They were either planning to sell them for money or ransom them.
But life is never that simple, is it?
Little did Jack know that he would find this case to be more complicated than Incy Wincy's Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment