Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Yarn That Rhymes - 4

Chapter 4


Two Days after Billy's arrest Miss Maple went missing. She was last known to be delirious and fevered. She kept repeating 'He is guilty'. The cops at the Royal Hospital thought she meant Billy. They were so wrong.
...
People who knew Mr. Horner described him as either 'disturbed' or 'disturbing'. At that very moment, snooping around the McDonald farm, he was both.
He was hoping to find a way into Alan's basement. That was before he found a scented pink handkerchief with an embroidered MM on it. Miss Maple had come here. Possibly to talk. There were signs of struggle - heel marks in the soil, a very large stamp of Alan's workman shoes.
Now it was a necessity to investigate.
Jack found the back door unlocked and unbarred. To some this would have been a sign of danger. But for Jack Horner, it was an invitation. He entered carefully, treading softly like a cat. The room was empty. It was a post-Victorian looking room with a fireplace. The likes you find in old British movies.
There was a chestnut chair in front of the fire and sitting in it, to Jack's surprise was a large tabby cat. Jack was a cat person. Despite himself he bent over to pick it up and that was the last thing he remembered. His body froze and he dropped ike a pin.
...
Jack was trussed up like a turkey and hanging upside down in a corner. The room was definitely Alan's basement. The stench was unbearable.
A figure sat in the opposite corner.
"Is that you Alan? It's not too late, boy. I can help you. Where is Mary?"


"Little Jack Horner Sat in the corner. Do you know that rhyme Mr. Horner? I especially love it. A very apt choice at this very moment."
The voice was muffled but Jack could have known that voice anywhere.


"Andy? What are you doing? Where's Alan? Where's Mary?"
"Keep quiet Jack. Alan is not in this chapter. I sent him to Boscombe with a fake phone call. A phoney call, wouldn't you say-"
"Cut the crap Andy. What are you doing here?"


"What do you think? I killed Miss Maple. Now it is your turn. Killing her was very easy. The girl was such a peach. I made her sit in that big chair up there. Told her I would confess to the murders for which Billy is being held. She just lapped it up like a silly cat. Then I slit her throat with my scalpel. Her head's in the freezer now. I like to eat brains to be cold."


Jack's only response to this was throwing up loudly.


"Aah! That must be due to the drug I injected. Won't kill you but it will make you so sick that you will beg me to kill you. Just like Jill."
"Don't you dare say her name you scumbag-" Jack couldn't get his string of expletives out because Doc Foster managed to gag him.


"Oh, Jack you were always so gullible. And dumb. You could never see what she was going through. She was pregnant. She came to me - her best friend. I di what I had to do. What was that? Don't mumble Jack. I can't hear you. Anyways, so I took her to my home on the hill. And killed her. I told you that she left. I wanted to spare you the pain, Jack. I care about you."


Andy Foster was busy talking but Jack had tensed up. He had heard something upstairs and It did not sound like a cat.Foster continued his monologue after removing the gag, "You know, how women always come to me Jack. I am such a good friend to them. So, when I saw Miss Maple one day, I took her. I screwed with her, in all possible ways, If you know what I mean."
"You were never good with jokes Andy. So just stop. Finish this while you are on top."
"Finish this! What do you mean Jack? I just got started. Please don't spoil the fun. So, as I was saying I enlisted Mary in my little project called "Get Jack A Job'. The rest was quite easy for a guy who can cut surgically and has a freezer at home. If only Mary hadn't gone soft-"


"So, what now Andy? How do you plan to kill me? Shoot, Cut or Inject?"
"Please, Jack don't shame me. I am a professional. One woman each year. All dead, waiting for you. Come to think of it. I even wrote a poem for you. Would you like to listen?"
"Entertain yourself, Andy."
"I like the attitude Jack. If your own heart does not get tired of pumping against gravity, I might as well let you go. Just Kidding! So, it goes like-"
was all Andy could manage to say before Chief Elijah Dumpty cracked him on the skull with an Oriental vase.
...


The Chief got Jack free and left him sitting in the chair. Jack was still paralyzed due to the drug. Dumpty went in search of Miss Maple's body and head.
The moment he went, the fallen Doctor stirred. He got up with a smug grin on his face. Jack opened his mouth to scream but found it stuffed with a gag.
"So, Jack looks like you won for the time being. I will just go say Hello to Humpty up there and be off. I will see you again next year."
Jack could do nothing but stare in horror as Andy Foster crept up the stairs. There was a gunshot and it was the last thing that Andy remembered before passing out.
...

No comments:

Post a Comment