Saturday, February 26, 2011

''How Soon Is Now?''

[You might want to stay up to date on the files with these earlier entries ''Walk, Don't Run'', ''Rumble'' and ''The Thrill Is Gone''.]


Subject: 452859. ''James''. Status: Bonded to the Union.

December 23rd,

I have seen a lot of things in my time. I have seen hatred, love, anger and grief. I have never seen anything like what I saw after my capture. I was held by Bernard Deauville, psychopath mass-murderer chemist and also a double-agent. He was a Union man planted in State. He got to carry out all his dirty science in lieu of information that was needed by Union men. I had worked that out soon enough.

Chien was torturer-in-chief. Olga popped in occasionally to try and convince me. The act was good, for any outsider. I, however, had the inside dope. I let Chien think for himself. Let him see how Deauville knew I was coming on the island, how Tgonda had only one guard and how Johanssen was conveniently sacrificed. The conclusion was simple. Deauville was a traitor. Chien made the case. I supported him. Then Deauville played his trump card. He pointed out how Olga was ex-Union, how she could have easily done what Chien was accusing him of. The State jury was not very liberal. They sided with Deauville. After all, he was the one who threw all the nice parties. Chien was sentenced to death. Olga was relieved of State duties and held in a cell adjacent to mine.

At midnight, Bernard Deauville returned. He let us out. Olga shakes hands, grabs me and gets into the car. She drives towards the port. She knew this was the plan. Deauville was a coward. Chien was a true soldier of the State. He suspected Deauville. The Union needed Deauville. They played an ugly gamble. Now, Chien is dead and Deauville is safe.

Simple. Yet, I do not understand. Olga tries explaining. She was never very patient. She does not care who dies. I curse her for her part in this. She kisses me like never before. She guides me on the waiting ship, says something to the captain and heads back. Her job is not yet done.

Mine is. That is the story.

The carrier vessel Riga capsized off the coast of this island. We found the subject washed up on the island. He was found to be severely delusional. He has been actively encouraged to keep a journal as a way to help him regain his life. The subject broke out last night. The subject believes himself to be a spy. He could be dangerous. Unfortunately, there is no trace of his existence in his holding cell. Except for this note, devoid of any prints.



No comments:

Post a Comment